Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Devoting Time to Devotions

As I try to strengthen my faith and Christianity, I've decided to buckle down and do daily devotions.  However, as a mother of 3, who works as a full-time teacher, the question is when do I find the time?  Finding time in the day - especially a busy one - may seem nearly impossible.  But as I take closer look at just what I'm asking of myself, I'm realizing that at this point in my life, I am saying that I only have 2 hours on Saturdays or Sundays that I am devoting to our Lord God.

Of the 168 hours in the week, I have only 2 hours - that's just 1% of my time - carved out to spend time with my maker.  One word comes to mind - selfish.  God gives us everything.  The air we breathe, the oceans we swim in, the books that make laugh or cry.  How can we not find the time in the day to spend with the Lord. To thank him for all he has done.  To reflect and enjoy they things he has given us.  Each breath we take is his doing.

So like I make time to sit down and eat lunch; so like I make time to watch my favorite TV show on Wednesday night; so like I make time to do things for me, I must make time for the Lord.  I've decided to wake up just a little earlier, and before the morning rush, before the first little peep emits from the slumbering bedrooms, I will spend time with God and Jesus.

And so I begin a new trek of understanding, knowledge, and closeness by studying the bible and creating my relationship with God. His words will guide me. As live and breathe his words in his world, I build in myself the wisdom and knowledge to create a home of his standard.

Proverbs 24: 3-4 says:


3 By wisdom a house is built,
and through understanding it is established;
4 through knowledge its rooms are filled
with rare and beautiful treasures.

Oh, Lord, let me build a house worthy of you and may treasures that live in its wall become treasures not only to me and you but to the world around. As those treasures which I can offer to you, are my children. And may they grow in your words and your grace through the knowledge I acquire from your wisdom and your love. From now until the end of days. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment