Friday, January 20, 2012

Movies of Faith

Movies, television, music, radio and books.  Media takes on a whole new image when looked at and heard through a mother's eyes and ears.  I hear the songs on the '80s radio station and can hardly believe that my parents let me listen to that junk.  I carefully screen movies that my 6 year old begs me to watch. I wonder if it's possible for my children to grow up without being influenced so heavily by what they see on television.

But all is not lost.  My son loves listening to the Christian radio station in the morning on the way to school.  It's reassuring to hear him sing the songs of Jesus.  Slumber party night, when 2 of the kids get to camp out in the living room with mommy and daddy and watch a movie, has been blessed with Chronicles of Narnia series.  (I'm interested to study more about C.S. Lewis' biblical inferences in his writings.)

Though I can not protect my children from the evils of the world, I know that I can expose them to entertainment that is safe and positive.  As a parent, I must continue to find and show my children these less traveled, but safer paths through life. They will see the other paths all around them. But it is our job to guide them and teach them the lessons from all of the paths available to them. As they grow, I anticipate some resistance as they reach those tween/teen years, but in their hearts they will know what is right and what is wrong. I continue to pray that on the day they make their own choice, that little voice inside their head will help them choose the right path. I pray that they also know that if they do choose the wrong path, Mom and Dad will be right there to guide them back and the Lord will accept their return with open arms.

It is my hope that this less traveled stream of positive media grows to become a much larger entity. The world needs more positive influences.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment