Monday, January 9, 2012

Hearing the Message Loud and Clear

I'm not sure how this always seems to happen, but I've noticed that sometimes, just when I a little reassurance of just where I'm going on this journey, God speaks.

At our service this past weekend, I walked in a little late.  Our pastor was talking about being "weird".  "Weird in a Godly way."  Now, it may sound a little strange, but hear me out.  He was just about to quote Romans 12:2 which says:

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - is good, pleasing and perfect will." (NIV)

Another version states it like this:

"Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you." (MSG)


I had just posted my first post a couple of nights before.  I worried what people would call me. I wondered if people would change how they think of me if they knew I listened to the Christian radio station. I worried that people would change because I've changed.  Well - in a way.


Romans 12:2 is telling me that I don't need to hide the fact that I'm different from "normal", or that I'm what my pastor calls, "Weird."  I need to follow the path of God and Jesus and know that I don't need to worry or wonder about all of those other things.  People will see me for who I am and will see the glory of God through my actions. 


Lord knows I am willing.  Putting it out there. Putting my faith on the line, well, that's just gosh darn scary.  I know people look at Christians differently. I know people hold back when they are around them. On the other hand, I know some Christians who flaunt their religion around like it's the new trend. They look down upon you if you're not a Christian, or don't go to their church, or can't quote bible verse off the top of your head.  This is what I'm afraid of. 


I pray tonight, Lord, that you give me the strength to stand up for what's right and to be my true self - and to not be afraid to include Christian into my self-description. Help me to become what you have planned for me. Help me to see and reveal my true self to others. Help me to renew my mind so that I may show - not tell - but show the glory of God, the glory of Christ Jesus, through my actions, Lord. It is because of you that I have become who I am. Let me also help others who may be on the same journey as me to help bring their own lights to the surface. To help them to release the clouds of doubt they may have and to become who they are meant to be: a child of God.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. What a warm and touching heart you have! Thanks for opening up and sharing your journey with me today! I love your style and can't wait to hear more about your path. It's funny how God leads us to blogging about Faith, isn't it? You'll discover that there is someone with a similar path that God will put you together with to inspire and share His love!
    Thanks so much... I look forward to more!
    love, a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Hott Mama. I love your blog as well. Very inspiring! Thank you for commenting on my blog and knowing that I have a fellow traveler on board helps me to keep going! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete